Balance rail pins, key buttons

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:56:28 -0400

At 09:41 AM 9/18/99 -0300, you wrote:
>Hi Ken,
>I for one would be interested. I wonder how many home made jigs are around,
>that would be of interest to the rest of us.
>May'be they could have a 'Jig of the Month'  section in the Journal?
>Thank you.
>Regards,
>John M. Ross
>Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
>
>Ken Jankura wrote:
>
>> At 04:02 PM 9/17/99 -0300, you wrote:
>> >  Hi Clark,
>> >I have thought of making my own keybuttons.
>> >I would appreciate knowing if anyone has had any luck making them,
>> >economically and consistent in size.
>> >I would appreciate it if they would share their expertise.
>> >Regards,
>> >John M. Ross
>> >Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada. Clark wrote: Hi, I recall an inquiry here a

This may be hard to describe, here goes.  A 12" long, 5" wide 'reference'
board complete with parallel lines drawn on, clamps in the x-y vise. A semi
circle assembly of wood is situated under the drill on top of the board. It
is attached, rotates and can lock in position (kinda like Wally Brooks
hammer boring jig but horizontal) A toggle clamp quickly locks the key to
the flat side of the semi circle. For the balance rail, by lining up the
key front with the parallel lines, any angle dogleg key can be held fast,
and the mortice will run true. Visually center the end mill to the existing
mortice, drill to set depth, and run the 'x' axis of the vise the length of
the mortice. Voila! Precise width mortices with clean flat sides. Great for
consistent key re-bushing.
Different length screw and rubber bumper assemblies on the toggle clamp
will accomodate balance rails, sharps and natural fronts for any keys.

Making key buttons would be quick and easy, as there would be no need to
deal with angles, and spacing is not critical.
Now, cutting mortices into blanks already glued onto keys is another story.
They are not always centered and would be hard to index as such. It
wouldn't be hard to center the mortices and space the balance rail pins if
necessary.
Hope this helps.

Ken Jankura
Newburg, PA

>Clark wrote:

>ps - Ken, what'd you do with all those replaced oblong Knabe balance pins?

I have one complete set, but they are pretty badly worn at the balance
holes. I would like to keep them for spares. I would be glad to replace
them on other pianos in my clientele, and if I get a major supply, I'll let
the list know.