How Soon to Tune?

Roger C Hayden rchayden1@juno.com
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 22:00:47 -0400

We buy and sell and rebuild and sell from our basement shop, and see lots
of conditions.  What's fascinating is to hear a piano just after
delivery.  AWWfull!!  And we usually tune the day before delivery.  Give
it time to even our the temp, and it comes back that same day.  Then
wait, in a couple days it goes crazy again, the woods are now reacting.
A few days later and it evens out a bit.  Just a bit.

Two - three weeks and your tuning should hold OK, barring any violently
changing weather, such as the kind we have in North America.

What I have also found fascinating is string setting techniques.  Wow,
what a difference in achieving an early stability when you take all the
bends out of the strings.  Plus the tone is clearer, stronger, and
sustains better.  A very good use of your time.

Roger Hayden,  RPT
Clarks Summit, PA