Balance rail pins, key buttons

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:11:07 +0200

Clark wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Probably 30-40 minutes to do a whole piano keyplank, uncut with the
> key button moulding in place - I'll let you know if I actually do it.
> But then that's assuming just using one size tool - no problem if the
> center rail pins had those oblong 0.088 tips and if there were front
> rail pins of corresponding width. Probably it would end up taking not
> quite double this time to completely mortise a keyplank (but then that
> time, aside from just unbushed center pin mortises was for one
> 5-octave basswood manual...).

This sounds kinda neat actually, I'd like to see a picture of one of
these do-gadgies. More then once I have wanted to be able to make a new
set of keys, but I have always hedged (partially because of this
buisness of pin mortises). Keep me posted will you??

> Now we've got to get those harpsichord types away from just using
> those darn Korg electronic tuners. ;)

Aint they just great ??? We got a player here at the University that
insists on tuning the harpsichord himself and he uses one of those korg
chromatic tuners. You should try getting a piano to work with those
tunings. He's happy tho.. he says that they are "supposed" to sound like
that.

> Clark "drittsekk" Panaccione

Ahhh... he DOES know some Norwegian.  Vi få snakke litt mer om dette til
neste år da. <smil>

Hilsen

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.