RCT

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:24:29 +0200

Roger Jolly wrote:

>  Hi Richard,
>                  The cat is now amidst the pigeons.
> Since you have RCT here is a little experiment for you.
> Set a temperament aurally to your complete satisfaction, then measure
> each note with RCT, note the results.
> Next detune and retune with RCT alone for full blush on every string.
> Next go into PAZ mode and sample every string for harmonic content,
> being very careful to use the same force of blow with each note.
> Tabulate the results. you will note that any small tuning errors will
> coincide with variations in the partial ladders.
> Now reset the temperaments with ppp blows and then with fff blows.
> Repeat the tabulation process.
> You will find less mud, more light, then scratch your head. Heck my
> fingers are full of splinters. (grin)
> Roger

This sounds interesting... will give it a wing this week and get back to
you..

> >My "question" is then, (given your statements about inharmonicity,
> strength of
> >partials, and how these change under conditions such as those
> voiceing can
> >present) Which ones of these two methods is really the most
> dependable, or shall
> >I say will result in the most "correct" tuning ? (I assume here that
> both RCT and
> >Tune Lab are equals when it comes to measuring accuracy) If you have
> an opinion
> >on this, I would also like to hear (as in depth as you can get
> inspired enough to
> >write.. grin) your reasoning.
> >
> >Thanks..

Was wondering a bit about this business tho.. If you need the whole
posting to answer I can re-send it. Basically using Tune-lab as one does
the ear as opposed to RCT's calculated scales.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway