How Soon to Tune?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:47:19 EDT

>My own personal bias is that anything more than 72 hours would be
>unnecessary. But I'm willing to learn.

Greetings,
   This will depend on the quality of the service.  I suggest two weeks.
This allows the piano to cycle through the household's day/night changes, and
generally get acclimated to the relative level of humidity at that time.
    A larger reason for the wait is that two weeks of play will call forth
break-in problems like damper pedals losing regulation, "sticking keys",
maybe a jack pad that didn't really have enough glue will have fallen off,
and the damper wires that moved early in their settling will be rattling.
    A couple of weeks delay in that first tuning/service can save extra trips
in the first two months or so.
Regards,