How Soon to Tune?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:16:26 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/1999 3:42:28 PM, jgrassi@silverlink.net writes:

<< My own personal bias is that anything more than 72 hours would be
unnecessary. But I'm willing to learn.
Mark Stern >>

Mark;
  In this case I believe that the sales persons are correct. The tuning on
any piano which is moved from one location to another will change, sometimes
subtley, sometimes radically, during the first two to three weeks after the
move. As well the regulation can possibly change, clicks show up, etc..   The
difference in environment, i.e., temp/humidity, will change the tuning on any
instrument and it takes at least two weeks to fully aclimate to a new
location.  For this reason I will not tune any piano that has not been
sitting in a given location for at least two weeks and I prefer to wait for
three weeks...this does not apply to performance pianos  used in a venue
where they have just arrived and will be leaving tomorrow.

  Having done store/free service tunings for many years, and judging the
effects of the move on newly purchased instruments over those years, I am of
the opinion, bias if you will, that any tuning done during the first week
after the move is essentially wasted.  Of course on some of the pianos, and
for some customers, this will not make a difference since when you do the
'free' tuning it probably will be the last time it "needs" to be done for at
least ten years :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)