How Soon to Tune?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:12:44 -0600

Hi Clyde,
              I think it has more to do with the give and stretch of new
wire, and a freshly loaded board than it does with moisture factors. Just
look at much a new piano drops when pin setting, compared to an instrument
that is comparably flat, that is say 5yrs old and has been tuned regularly.
That stretch takes a little playing time, as well time under stress. IMHO.
Roger

At 06:24 PM 20/09/99 -0400, you wrote:
>When we suggest a waiting period after a move, precisely what are we
>expecting to happen while we wait?  I presumed it was in case the new home
>(for example) might have a considerably different humidity level when
>compared with the former one, as would be the case in moving to an
>airconditioned home from one that was not.
>
>The next question in my mind is, how long does it take the wood components
>of a piano, most importantly in this case the soundboard, to adjust to a
>different humidity level?  I don't know, but I would think considerably
>longer than three days.  I generally suggest a wait of a month and will
>likely continue to do so unless someone has some research results or
>information that will shed new light on the subject for us.
>
>Regards,
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT
>

>>  Most piano stores provide a free home tuning with piano sales.
>> Usually, they have a cadre of technicians and assign these tunings
>> with
>> "Service Bonds" to one of their crew. The manager at one store
>> instructed technicians to contact customers within ten days of the
>> delivery date posted on the service bond. I did this consistently.
>> Many
>> times, the customer would explain that their sales person instructed
>> them to wait for periods of weeks before having the piano tuned in
>> order
>> that the instrument become properly acclimated to its new
>> surroundings.
>>
>>         I have discussed this waiting period with a number of other
>> technicians and store salesmen and there appears to be a serious
>> debate
>> about the issue. I'd be interested in views of some informed parties.
>> My
>> own personal bias is that anything more than 72 hours would be
>> unnecessary. But I'm willing to learn.
>>
>>         Could you run that up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes?
>>
>>                                         Mark Stern

Roger Jolly
BaldwinYamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina