evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Brian Henselman musicmasters@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 20:03:21 -0500

Richard,

I believe that the ridges that you refer to are indeed compression or
pressure ridges.  Some manufacturers, including Steinway, claim that these
are harmless, and in fact are "design features."  I personally do NOT find
them harmless to the resale value, nor do I believe them to be desirable
"design features".

Hence, I'm fairly sure that Jim Bryant had his tongue pressed "firmly
against the inside of his cheek" when it said not to worry about these
"design features."

BTW, Delwin Fandrich had a series of facinating articles in several of last
year's PTG journal explaining the source, and problems associated with
compression ridges.  It was great reading.  I highly recommend looking at it
if you haven't already.

Cheers,

Brian Henselman, RPT