evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Roger C Hayden rchayden1@juno.com
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 08:10:48 -0400

Thanks Ron,

We were taught to dry the board to about 10%, plus cut crown into the
ribs, then the press, with the natural bend afforded by the calculable
give of yellow pine under the pneumatic stress gave us a lovely
predictable crown.  The pianos speak beautifully.  We only got to do two,
a Steinway and a Baldwin.  We seem to get a small amount of compression
ridge in the Baldwin in the summer.  The Steinway, I'm ashamed to say, is
not maintained regularly.

We would do more soundboards, but haven't really run into the right
conditions.  Also, I moved most of my operation to the home.  I haven't
room for the press here, it's at Frank Bissol's, PTG Associate, about 15
miles north.

Roger Hayden, RPT
Clarks Summit, PA