evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 21:54:23 +0200

Frank Weston wrote:

> OK engineers:
>
> The soundboard assembly must withstand a substantial amount of downbearing
> force, no matter how it is constructed......

>  I know I'm pissing into the wind here, but there are some pretty
> successful manufacturers who agree with me.
>
> Frank Weston

Not in my book Frank. Impressive posting. I look forward to hearing how folks
counter these arguments.  <grin>

On the side of all this.. I have always wondered about something that perhaps
some of you can answer for me. What is "wrong" with the idea of "heat shaping" a
board into crown. Much like boatmakers apply heat and humidity to bend planks,
or for that matter as piano techs do to twist hammer shanks and the like? Could
not a soundboard be crowned and ribbing in this fashion ? Would it be strong
enough ??  Just curious.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway