evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 00:54:29 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/1999 11:15:51 PM, nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET writes:

<<"It doesn't work with rib crowned boards either, because the panel is under
compression with that system too, and does help support crown, just not as
much. The ribs do most of the work.">>

Ron;
 Now Massah I be jus a po ole country boy an I don unnerstand this high
techie stuffs so please splain to me how it works OK??
  I thought that when a sounboard is made by;
1.  first constructing a 'flat' panel,
2.  then shaping board ribs to have curved tops correlating to the desired
crown then,
3.  gluing the 'flat' panel to the the 'curved' ribs thus giving the board
its 'crown'

Am I right so far?  If so doesn't the 'top'(bridge side) surface of the board
cover a larger area measured edge to edge than does the 'bottom' (rib side)
of the board ?
 If'n de only pressure put on dat board be from the gluing to conforms to de
ribs the underside will be compressed in relation to the panel when it was
flat..ain't dat so?
Well if'n it be so, what done happen to de top side?...and why do it measure
farther than it did when it was flat?
jus wonderin Mr Ron...
Jim Bryant (FL)