big honkin' #24 wood screws

Wed, 22 Sep 1999 07:17:51 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <Wimblees@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 6:42 AM
Subject: Re: big honkin' #24 wood screws

bases-loaded@juno.com
> writes:
>
> << My question is this:  aside from the age old method of scavenging from
>  other pianos and packratting (guilty on both counts), is anyone aware of
>  a supplier that does not require a minimum order of 100 of each size?
>  Let's face it, lags are ugly!  My local supplier finally quit carrying
>  the big hosses as of this year, and my supply is very low.  Any leads?
>
>  Mark Potter >>
>

> APSCO carries a full assortment of larger screws.
>
> Willem Blees

Yes, they do.  The only problem is the quality and the service.  The service
is pathetic and the quality is variable.  They seem to be made by a variety
of lowest bidders in third (or fourth) world countries.  Sometimes they may
actually be usable, other times they break when they are about half way in.
Sometimes the plating will stay on, other times it will flake off.
Sometimes the metal is strong enough so that the head (slot) will not deform
as you drive it in, other times, no matter what you do, the slot will deform
and end up looking ugly.

But.  They do have the right sizes.

Del