evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:26:12 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/1999 9:41:58 AM, nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET writes:

<<"So both assemblies now have similar crown, and both panels are under
compression, that's *compression*, before they are installed in the piano,
and before any string load is applied.">>

Ronnnnn!!!
If you took the entire piano and threw it in the river the entire thingee
would also be under compression......so?? :-)

  The point I was, obviously inefficiently, trying to make was that when a RC
board is constructed the top surface of the board, without regard to EMC
content, will be under tension (stretched) and the bottom under compression
(pushed together). Naturally as the percentage of moisture 'increases' the RC
board, now being captured by the ribs and due to the expansion of the
fibers/cells, will gradually change from being under tension- to
neutral/resting-to being under compression.  It will, the top surface that
is, not be under compressive forces until either the %EMC increases enough to
surpass the compressive indices of the original bottom surface...or until
pressure is applied externally, i.e. downbearing................

Now don't confuse me with more facts :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)