evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:34:55 +0200

After reading Dels last post on the issue I have become convinced that
the term "compression" is at the root of the "dissagreement" or at least
my own problem grasping all this. For my own part I believe the whole
thing could be cleared up if one of you would explain just how a board
curved by force or by use of humidity can be "Compressed" on the upper
surface. I can easily see how compression applies to the bottom side,
but I cant get past this idea that the convex side is "stretched" rather
then "squeezed".

>From what I was able to gather from Dels last, it seems like this has
something to do with cell structure and how it reacts to differing
stress. In any case.. I would really really appreciate somebody clearing
this up.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway