Best guess?

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:06:11 -0500 (CDT)

>The question. Should I try to skive the S&S type narrower/thinner; create a
>sandwich  (or shim) the blue stuff; or... ?

Remarkable! I finished a Knabe rebuild about three months ago, and ran into
the same thing. I installed the thicker (gooder) felt, threw my
"Stack-o-Washers" key weights on to hold the key backs down, and clamped a
felt knife on the underlever height setting arm of my string height gauge,
set it to the appropriate height, and skimmed the lifters to the right
thickness in a couple of passes. Quick and dirty. I didn't have the room in
the piano to fudge the extra thickness and still get the sostenuto to work,
but this worked fine.

>Jim Harvey, RPT
>- who's never seen iridescent blue felt anywhere in a piano

Of course not, the stuff's too thin!

>PPS: the capstans are too loose, and CA -is- working, but not very neatly.

Right on both counts.

 Ron N