evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:06:12 -0500 (CDT)

>After reading Dels last post on the issue I have become convinced that
>the term "compression" is at the root of the "dissagreement" or at least
>my own problem grasping all this. For my own part I believe the whole
>thing could be cleared up if one of you would explain just how a board
>curved by force or by use of humidity can be "Compressed" on the upper
>surface. I can easily see how compression applies to the bottom side,
>but I cant get past this idea that the convex side is "stretched" rather
>then "squeezed".
>
>>From what I was able to gather from Dels last, it seems like this has
>something to do with cell structure and how it reacts to differing
>stress. In any case.. I would really really appreciate somebody clearing
>this up.
>
>Richard Brekne
>I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
>Bergen, Norway

Been out tuning all day. Looks like I'm a little behind.

The panel isn't necessarily bent during assembly of the CC system. It can be
done on a flat surface, with absolutely no bending of the panel or rib
whatsoever. The panel growth with rehydration is what bends the rib, while
the rib resists bending and compresses the panel. There's your definition of
compression. The only reason the panel untimately curves at all is that it's
glued to the rib, and has to go where the rib goes.

 Ron N