Wurlitzer/Samick case repair

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 08:35:09 -0400

Patrick,
I've done a similar repair - you need to use a router or laminate trimmer
and a chisel to remove the damaged 'wood' from the rim.  Next, cut a piece
of hardwood (maple, walnut, etc.) to fit in the hole you've created; glue
and clamp the hardwood piece to the rim (you'll need two sets of clamps -
one set to go from the inside of the rim to the outside, and one from the
top of the rim to the bottom).  Finish the hardwood to match the case,
drill new holes for the hinge screws, and you're done.  Of course, its much
easier to write about it than to do it.  It helps if you know how big your
hardwood patch needs to be so you can cut it to size before you go to the
piano.  If you're not comfortable doing all this, I wouldn't learn on this
piano.  I hope this is helpful; if you have further questions, feel free to
e-mail me privately.

Jon Ralinovsky
Miami U., Oxford, OH