Beat phenomenon question

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:35:57 -0500

Yes, I was wondering about harmonic content on slow beats.  But your suggestion
leads me to think an oscilator is always going so even though the note is "turned
off and on" it picks up on wherever the osc. is.  On that note, though if a unison
is beatless it would have to be beatless if it were out of phase.  I mean when would
it ever be in phase if it were from two different sources played at two different
times?  ---ric

----------
> From: Clark <caccola@net1plus.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Beat phenomenon question
> Date: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 10:01 AM

Ric,

The harmonic contents of the two signals are quite different: one "rich" one
"plain"; I think
you'd get an even more spectacular result with two like signals. Both of the signal
generators
you were using probably don't change their phasing - just turn on and off (my
results were
different because I used a synthesizer that starts a "sine" wave from 0 each time).

Drone-o-rama!

Clark