Wurlitzer/Samick case repair

Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:51:57 -0400

Patrick -

Since no one has ventured forth with this one, I will give it a shot...

I have run into this several times.  I'm afraid there is no easy answer
that I'm aware of.  Is this a piano that has a clear finish, or a black
or white one?  If it is black or white, your job will be quite a bit
easier.  If it is clear, well, since you have stated you have limited
woodworking skills, and this is a piano that is on "display", you may
want to hire a furniture touch up man to do the work.  Some of them are
really good.  Matching up veneers and finishes can be quite tricky, to
say the least!

IF IT IS BLACK, let's say, I would cut out completely the damaged wood,
leaving a rectangular shape with a nice flat bottom.  Make sure to only
leave behind sound "wood".  Then cut in with a piece of hardwood (maple
would be good) to precisely fill the void (flush with all planes).  Using
pipe clamps and yellow glue, glue it into the void, being careful with
the lateral alignment.  As a precaution, use a couple dowel pins to pin
the repair down to the case.

Do any leveling next (sanding or planing, if necessary), then fit the lid
and hinges, marking them and drilling pilot holes and actually screwing
it all together to make sure it fits.  Then remove the lid and hinges,
putty in any crevices, mask off the area and prime with a few coats, sand
level with surrounding area, and top coat with several coats of black.
Wait a day or two to rub out to blend into the surrounding finish.

If this sounds involved, IT IS!  Patience is involved, but woodworking
and finish skills are paramount to a good repair here.  Only YOU know how
bad it is, but if you have little or no experience with this type of
repair, I would strongly consider a touch up man.

Just an opinion...

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com