Pianos Under Water

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:43:43 -0400

The following is an excerpt of a private post to my friend Lewis. Although
he has already received the -correct- reply, i.e., "total loss" in many
cases, I'm including these comments for those times when that declaration
is not an option. In my case, while working for a dealer and/or the school
district, we had to make the best of some pretty bad situations.

-------
Based on my experiences at a major dealership, and at L.A. City Schools,
here's what (the collective) we have determined:

1. Some pianos will float (animals have been spotted using 'em as boats);

2. Others sink like a stone;

3. Except for inspection purposes, and then only if -absolutely- required,
DO NOT remove case parts in an attempt to "dry out" the instrument. IOW, if
inspection is required, put all the wet parts back on immediately
afterwards, and do not move or disturb the current status of anything. Our
procedure was to place the piano out of service (back corner of a shop
where no one would attempt to play or repair it); wait at least six months
before assessing the condition, and a year before touching it with a
screwdriver. The conditions in the storage area would be considered
"normal", i.e., same for that piano as for people and other instruments --
no special venting, climate control, etc. (We were fortunate to have
indirect sunlight in a room with white-painted windows. I suppose that
translated to mild heat, and probably discouraged mold and other nasties
from growing.) That way, if the piano is going to return to normal at all,
it will do so at a natural rate. Failure to do this will create both extra
work and frustration -- case parts that no longer fit where they belong,
etc. [See Fandrich's recent post about making soundboard samples -- heat,
ambiance, heat. Same idea.]

4. Anything above does not consider real or implied pressures from
insurance companies, who want claims to be resolved immediately for the
lowest possible price. In such cases, explain the circumstances to both the
client and the insurance company, but be sure to CYA on paper!

5. It is usually safe (death and taxes are guaranteed) to proceed with
anything below the belt line on a local and more immediate level --
casters, legs, trapwork, etc., providing the exposure was of relatively
short duration. Think of a sheet of plywood that gets rained on when
bringing it from the store. Compare that to leaving that sheet unprotected
in the back yard for the summer.

6. Other considerations I'm sure, but it's been a while -- minute details
are sketchy in my mind.
-------

Jim Harvey, RPT
- who was spared from Floyd; only 30mph winds with gusts to 50mph.