Pianos Under Water

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:26:16 EDT

In a message dated 9/23/99 4:11:14 AM !!!First Boot!!!, lspivey@prodigy.net
writes:

<< Greetings from down under, not the equator but from Floyd's flood waters in
 Eastern North Carolina, USA.  While I am high and dry, hundreds if not
 thousands of pianos in my area have been swimming without scuba gear. Many
 have been completely submerged for days and while others have only gotten
 their legs or bottoms wet.  In my 25 plus years of piano service nothing
 like this has ever been a problem.  Do any of you have experience with
 flooded pianos. Are pianos that have under water rebuildable.  Any help
 would be greatly appreciated.

 Lewis Spivey, RPT
 Eastern North Carolina, USA

Lewis:

In 1993, when the mighty Missississississippi, (oops that's too many s's),
went on a rampage, I thought I would get a lot of calls for under water
pianos. In fact, I sent out letters to restoration services, warning them
about the problems with pianos. I only got one call, which was to tune and
repair an employees piano. I didn't get one call to try to restore a damaged
piano.

I guess the information I gave them was enough to realize that a piano that
has been subjected to water, has, for all in tense and purposes, played its
last chords.  A grand that has only been up to its legs and lyre in water,
could survive, but only if was sitting in water a day or two. If is more than
that, the excess moisture will make it too difficult to dry the piano out
sufficiently, so that future problems won't occur. A vertical piano that even
sat on a wet rug is also a goner. The water soaks up into the soundboard and
back post assemblies. This will also take years to dry out.

A warning here. On the surface, a dried out piano might look and even play
like nothing is wrong. But it takes years for a piano to dry out. During that
time, wood will warp, and glue will no longer hold parts together. And when a
piano goes haywire 5 years after the claim has been settled, they insurance
company won't pay for any more repairs.

I'm afraid for rebuilders, the Floyd flood will not bring on any
restorations. It will bring lots of business for piano dealers, which, in
turn, mean more work for piano tuners. Unfortunately, because of the
extensive damage, unless someone needs a piano too make a living, or they are
serious students, most home owners will need the money they get to buy a new
piano, to use to buy other necessities.

Good luck, Lewis. Tell us how you fared. How is Don?

Willem