hammer steam voicing

Richard Adkins RADKINS@coe.edu
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:56:22 -0500

Hey guys,
 You can buy a lampcord dimmer that can handle up to 150-200watts
and just turn down the voltage. I believe that Schaff has the 80watt hammer iron in their catalogue. The lampcord dimmer is easy to install.

 [I've been using Roger's steam methods along with shaping ,light needling and they've work wonders on both new and used hammers. I will work
on Steinway/ or lacquered hammers to a degree, but you will still need to do some needling where lacquer strikes the string. It does speed up the
process.]

One of the best classes I took in KC!

Thank you  Roger!

Richard A

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:48:02 -0400
From: bases-loaded@juno.com
Subject: Re: hammer steam voicing

Hi Newton -

Sorry for the obscure reference.  I was referring to the electric hammer
iron available in the supply catalogs, essentially an 80 watt soldering
iron fitted with a brass head for ironing hammers.  Roger Jolly wrote
about using it for "controlled steam voicing of hammers" in the May 1999
Journal, although he uses a 40 watt version, seemingly not available from
the stateside suppliers....

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com