Vacuum Cleaning Pianos

Wallace Scherer WallyTS@compuserve.com
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 11:46:29 -0400

I like to offer new customers a no charge, general vacuuming of their piano
if needed. (Takes about 6 minutes.)  For removing the keys and cleaning the
keybed, I charge $30 extra, and generally use a 1 1/2" paint brush to
assist in loosening crud. About half of my new customers want that service
too, when I show how dirty it is under the keys.

I will usually ask if they have a vacuum cleaner handy with a hose
attatchment. (Gives them a feeling of having "helped" with the care of
their piano.) If they don't, I will go get mine from the car.

My vacuum cleaner is a little Hoover "Heavy Duty". It is a hand held (Model
#S7065-070) with place for a shoulder strap. It is very powerful and fairly
quiet. It weighs only 8 pounds. How much did I pay for it? Yard sale
special, only $8. It also has a long power cord; I've even thought about
mounting an outlet on the vacuum cleaner for accessories, like drills,
soldering iron (shank bender), etc. The little cloth bag needs shaking out
every two or three weeks.

Wally Scherer
Lake Worth, FL
<http://www.geocities.com/vienna/2411>