Used/Surplus parts at conventions

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 16:32:14 -0500

> The idea is a good one.  But a couple of statistical problems. (just some
> that come to mind, in no particular order).

> 1.  Who is going be the shop keeper?

This could be a volunteer sort of thing, or an additional dollar or so fee could
go to someone tending to the display.

> 2.  How will each item be marked so that the right person will get the money?

On the item itself via a tag: "Set of German hammers made in Long Island By Young
Chang, $10.00."
Sold by Mr. I.M. Tuner.

> 3.  Should the shop keeper be paid to be there.

See number 1.

> 4.  Some states make the displayers charge sales tax. How is that going to
> work?

I doubt this would be a problem since this is second hand stuff being sold as-is
in garage sale style.

> 5. What happens if 50 people have things to sell, but we only have room to
> put 20 items on the table?

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  I doubt 500 convention attendees are
going to lug nine suitcases of piano junk with them anyway.  There will probably
be enough room.

> 6. What will the PTG do with the stuff that didn't sell, but the owner
> doesn't want to take home, or isn't even there to take home?

The owner has all responsibility.  It it doesn't get picked up then oh well.
Nobody takes any responsibility except the owner. Perhaps remaining inventory
could be donated to the Havana project or some such thing.

I don't see any problems here that couldn't be worked out.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV