broken tap

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 21:22:20 EDT

A couple months ago I posted a request for suggestions on how to remove a
broken tap from a plate.

First off thank you all (apologies for being late) for your many helpful
suggestions.

Today I was able to successfully remove a very tight and broken tap from the
plate.

The tap was broken just below the top surface of the plate.  As it turned out
the tap was at least 3/4 of an inch into the plate.  It was a four fluted
tap, two of the flutes had broked drill bits stuck inside of them.

As per your suggestions we (my father-in-law and I) were patient.  We slowly
ground down the tap with diamond grinding bits in fordam tool.  As we exposed
the flutes we hit them with a punch and slowly broke it apart.  Taps are hard
but they are bittle.  Eventually we were able to drive the tap up from the
bottom.  Amazingly the agraffe hole was not too badly damaged by all this.
After carefully retaping the hole we installed a new agraffe, strings, and
tuned.  Success and a relieved customer.

Thanks again

Andrew Remillard
ANRPiano@aol.com