temperature coefficient for tuning forks

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 13:56:47 -0700 (MST)

HI Bob:

I have tuned 100s of forks. My principle is that I tune the forks at
body temperature. It's the most convenient way for a technician to know
that his fork is at the right temperature when he uses it. During the filing
process the forks heat up a bit. I always allow time for them to normalize
to body temperature for the final filings.

When properly calibrated, your TuneLab is quite adequate for use in tuning
the forks. Your program is the only one which gives Freq. (Hz) as well as
cents deviation, so you don't have to do the math to get to 415 or to 430.
Yours reads directly. Just make sure that both forks are tuned to their
respective pitches and that they are both kept at the same temperature
during the process (preferably under arm pits - if you use deodorant).

Jim Coleman, Sr.