evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 19:31:51 -0400

Just a few tangential questions for someone...

1. Is it not increasingly difficult to bring wood from, say, 6.0% to 4.0%
MC, than it is to get it to the initial 6.0%? (Recognizing that the lower
the MC, the more unstable the material becomes, until one ends up working
with dust).

2. Does component handling and assembly timing not become even more
critical at lower MC's?

3. If a panel is pressed, by whatever means, to a radius of 60', would the
"net" radius be more on the order of 56' or so? Regardless of the net
value, I must assume it can be calculated somehow to be repeatable.

4. What happens if, for whatever reason, the ribs and panel are not in
equilibrium with each other at the time of gluing/pressing? IOW, consider
that they came from two different hot boxes.

5. How does a heat table relate to a hot box, and the respective virtues of
either?

If I can't participate in the answers, at least I can stir the pot of
confusion! <g>

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.