evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:08:31 -0500 (CDT)

> I'd also like
>to know if there is some way one can "see" this by examining a soundboard
>(aside from compression ridges; which I suppose could actually occur in a rib
>crowned board as well when it comes right down to it).
>
>Richard Brekne

Del probably has more details, but I have a couple of observations. Since
the deflection resistance of a rib is directly related to it's width, and
the cube of it's height (height^3), compression crown systems will tend to
have ribs that are wider than they are deep, where rib crowned systems tend
to have ribs that are deeper than they are wide. Other than that, computing
the string bearing loads on the existing rib scale can give you a pretty
good indication of whether the rib dimensions are capable of supporting
bearing load without the panel doing all of the work (more math... lots of it.

In an old Knabe I rebuilt early this year, the top five ribs were built up
in two layers. The main body was flat along it's length, and had a thinner
strip glued on top, that was about 6mm thick in the center, and 2 or 3mm at
the ends. These pretty much had to be crowned ribs.

Also, Both Yamaha, and Kawai crown their ribs.

 Ron N