evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:08:29 -0500 (CDT)

>the 57.29578 and the 0.017453 are then constants ?  and these represent what ?

* Reduced forms of Arc = (Pi*radius*angle)/180  and  Angle =
(180*angle)/(pi*radius). Unfortunately, reduction of anything usually
obfuscates the relationship of it's parts, even though it simplifies the math.

> You couldnt recommend any
>good technical reference books (you know my approximate level in these issues)
>aside from the one you mention below ?

* "The Encyclopedia of Wood" (Sterling Publishing Co,), a 1989 reprint of
the 1987 "Wood Handbook: Wood as an Engineering Material" (U.S. Government
Printing Office), and "Understanding Wood" (Taunton Press), by R. Bruce
Hoadley, are good places to start. Then, there are a number of piano related
publications available from supply houses. After that, it's a matter of dumb
luck as to whether any single book will have what you may be looking for at
any given time, and chances are it won't be just exactly what you need
anyway.It seems that most of the knowledge acquired through all the years of
research in this field was kept in house, possibly never written down, and
certainly never published. What does exist, relating to pianos, is often
contradictory. There is no incontestable authoritative source. That's why we
have these little discussions in an attempt to boil out the misconceptions.
Sometimes, progress is even made.

 Ron N