evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:22:59 -0500 (CDT)

>David,
>
>Bravo!  Well said!  Yeah for simplicity!  Ron, Brian T., Delwin, didn't he
summed it up in laymen's terms?

* Didn't I respond to his post? Didn't I say yes? <G> Well here's another
one for him, and you too... yes, and yes.

>Frank, I think David nailed it.  Unlike your yardstick analogy, no one is
grabbing the ends of the soundboard and artificially "forcing" an arch.  In
a compression crown, the arch is created by internal forces (increased water
content) pressing outward against the cell walls (COMPRESSION).  The rib is
simply limiting the GROWTH of the underside at a greater rate than the
growth on the topside.  Even though ALL of the cells are GROWING, the arch
is created only because the top of the soundboard is GROWING with less
resistance because the rib is on the bottom.

>Did I get it right?

* Absolutely, er, yes.

>As to rib-crowning.  Don't think of it as the rib "forcing" the board to
arch as in Frank's yardstick analogy.  Rib crowned boards are still dried
before ribs are glued on right?  Just not as much.  If this is the case,
once humidity is re-introduced to the cells, then think of  tapered rib as
"following" the board, and not "fighting" it like a straight rib does.

>I'm not an expert either.  To quote you, David, "I'm learning, not
teaching."  Hopefully though, I've figured this out finally.

>Cheers,
>Brian Henselman,RPT

* That's it, you're hired!

 Ron N