evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:02:21 -0400

It makes sense to me.  The catch is that sometimes the top is larger =
than it wants to be.

Frank Weston
    -----Original Message-----
    From: David M. Porritt <dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu>
    To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date: Monday, September 27, 1999 12:33 PM
    Subject: Re: evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new =
piano
   =20
    Frank:
    =20
    I have not participated in this discussion simply because it is over =
my head.  I'm learning, not teaching. =20
    =20
    However, if you think if compression as the state where something is =
smaller than it wants to be, and tension as something being larger than =
it wants to be, that can simplify the engineering definitions.  If a =
traditionally crowned board is held smaller than it wants to be, it is =
under compression.  On this board that is constrained by the rib, the =
bottom is smaller than it wants to be because of the rib.  The top is =
smaller than it wants to be because of the bottom - and the fact that it =
is one piece, this panel.  If the top, although it is larger than the =
bottom, it's smaller than it wants to be, so it is under compression.
    =20
    Does this make sense???
    =20
    dave