evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:54:23 -0400

>Well, now I am confused. I thought you had another shop do soundboard work
>for you, or am I mistaken? I'm still wondering how you verified that none
of
>those old Knabes had crowned ribs. Do you get the old board back with the
>piano when it returns from the rebuilder? Even with the old board at hand,
>what sort of evidence do you typically look for to determine what crowning
>system was used? Since any type of rib that has been subjected to bending
>forces of any kind for 50+ years will take a set, what do you look for that
>will conclusively tell you what the original top profile of the rib was?
>Please explain. This hasn't come up before, and I would really like to know
>how it's done.

Ron,

Are we changing the argument now?  And, is the tone getting a little
accusatory?

When you made the statement that you had observed rib crowning in an old
Knabe, I could have asked you the same questions, but I didn't think it
would be polite.  I'm going to try to keep being polite, 'cause if I've got
you upset now in my polite mode, you might have a coronary if I switched to
nasty.  I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

Frank Weston