evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:25:32 +0200

Brian Trout wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> Gee, I hope I'm not sticking my nose into a place it doesn't belong, but I
> had a thought as to how you might determine if a board was rib crowned.

Grin.. well, I dont know about you Brian.. but I'll stick my nose into just
about any place,,, long as it smells good.... But seriously folks... Wouldnt it
be possible to just measure the thickness of the ribs at several points on each
rib. I mean if its a ribbed soundboard, are not the ribs a bit higher in the
middle section of them ?

Perhaps I have misunderstood how ribs in this case are made, but I kinda just
assumed they were cut or sanded to shape.  As in.. say 1 inch high at each end,
gradually and evenly reaching say... 1 and 1/16th inch in the middle. (just
random numbers there guys... to illustrate). If this is not the case... I would
of course be gratefull for somebody to straighten me out on this one as well.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway