evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:43:01 -0500 (CDT)

>Are we changing the argument now?  And, is the tone getting a little
>accusatory?

* "We" haven't changed any argument. Your position seems to have mutated from
----
"A so called "compression" crowned
soundboard in an unloaded state will have the fibers in the top half of the
board subjected to tension and those in the bottom subjected to compression
(it's the rule, you got to have both)".
----
into
----
"It is theoretically possible...",
----
with a side trip through a rebuilding shop's soundboard press (for which you
still haven't produced any numbers we can test). Your original argument has
been adequately addressed plenty of times already, whether you choose to
acknowledge it or not, and since it's not possible to disprove
"theoretically possible", it's pointless to continue. Your arguments and
reasoning in support of them are incorrect, and rather than acknowledge a
point, you've repeatedly changed your stand. It's that simple.

>When you made the statement that you had observed rib crowning in an old
>Knabe, I could have asked you the same questions, but I didn't think it
>would be polite.  I'm going to try to keep being polite, 'cause if I've got
>you upset now in my polite mode, you might have a coronary if I switched to
>nasty.  I wouldn't want that on my conscience.
>
>Frank Weston

* You didn't ask me the question because you didn't have a question to ask,
because I gave my reason for thinking they were crowned ribs in the post. If
you disagree, let's hear the rationale.

"The main body was flat along it's length, and had a thinner
strip glued on top, that was about 6mm thick in the center, and 2 or 3mm at
the ends. These pretty much had to be crowned ribs."

Now if you would be so kind. Explain to me how you can be so unshakably
convinced that a compression crowned board will always sound better than a
rib crowned board, when you can't give me even the simplest clue as to how
you can tell the difference? You haven't presented an argument yet that
reasonably supported any of your other assertions, so I thought it only
polite to give you a chance to partially redeem yourself. That's for my
conscience. You can get as nasty as you like, but that still won't mean that
you're making sense.

 Ron N