evaluating sdbd. crown & bridge downbearings in a new piano

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:57:34 -0400

Help,
        Now I'm really confused about the tensions/compressions in an
arched beam or panel!  Working with model train track,  known as flex
track which is designed to bend around turns, I've noticed the
following:   When bent around a curve, the outer rail of the turn which
has the larger radius (similar to the top of an arched beam) becomes too
short to connect to the next section of track.  One must cut off the
inner rail at both ends so that both rails can connect to the next
piece.   So if a beam is bent into an arch, the top either gets longer
and is therefore stretched or under greater tension then the bottom or
it doesn't.  If it doesn't , that means that the angles at the butt ends
of the beam must go out of square to accommodate that. (like the track
that won't match up).  Doesn't that take a quite a force to pull the
butt end of a beam out of square and wouldn't that be from the tension
in the top of the arched beam? So doesn't that prove there is much
tension in the top of the beam?

Please forgive my idiocy here,
-Mike Jorgensen