Warped grand piano lid

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:23:12 EDT

In a message dated 9/28/99 4:01:28 PM !!!First Boot!!!, lawsonic@global.co.za
writes:

<< Hi list, One of my next contract jobs is a grand where the lid has warped
 considerably, might be described as an S shaped crown as Ron might put it,
 but this is a lid, not a soundboard. Warp is such that at the right hand
 corner (by hinge) is about half an inch up when lid "closed". This happened
 some time ago when I believe owner had it in storage somewhere. It is
 figured walnut and weighting cost of feasable repair against replacement. I
 had thoughts of pvc go bars as recently described except workshop has very
 high ceiling and not sure how much pressure for how long if this is an
 option.

 Thoughts, suggestions, comments welcome.

Putting pressure on the lid to make it flat, if the lid is laying on a flat
surface will not take out the warp. You will actually have to over bend it
past level, to get it to straighten out. If you are going to have the piano
in the shop, put the lid on the ground, but put most of it on 2x4s, so that
the warped part is hanging free. Put a large heavy object, like a garbage can
with water in it, on the warped end, and let the weight push it down. Check
frequently to see the process. Caution. Do not put a damp cloth or add water
to the lid.  because that will effect the veneer of the lid, and you'll wind
up with a different problem.

Good luck

Willem