Wurlitzer Grands

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:31:16 EDT

lecronin@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< My name is Leanne Cronin and I am a non-tech lurker!

 I am a beginning piano player and am looking for a small grand.  I have read
 what I could find in the archives, but there isn't much and I'm getting more
 confused.  The dealer says that the Wurlitzer is made by Baldwin(its now
 what the DH Baldwin was), or at least the scale on the 5'8" is the Baldwin
 Artist scale,  Larry Fine's The Piano Book, Third edition says that the
 Wurlitzer is made by Young Chang. But I also read that Samick made the D.H.
 Baldwin line(no longer offered by Baldwin).  Can someone clear up the
 confusion?

 And after that, is this line of Wurlitzer grand any good?  It sounds ok to
 me (not very discerning yet! I just don't like really bright tones).  I
 can't afford a Steinway nor a Mason and Hamlin and right now I have a 1960
 Acrosonic.  Should I wait for a used Baldwin Artist (20 years old or so) for
 about $6,000 more?

 Sorry to bother you with my non-tech questions.

 If you prefer to respond off list my address is lecronin@worldnet.att.net

 Thanks
 Leanne Cronin
 Fresno (97degrees and humid), CA >>

Wurlitzers are now manufactured by Samick for Baldwin. For the price, they
are not bad.  Pianos are like shoes, If they don't fit when you first put
them on, they will not "wear" in. If you like the tone, the touch and the
looks, and can afford it, then buy the piano. If you do not like any one of
those four things, then wait for the instrument you do like.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis