checkering file & bridle strape tool

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:18:31 -0700

At 07:42 AM 09/30/1999 -0700, Pat Neely wrote:

> 1. what is the cuts per inch on the ideal  file for hammer tails

I stopped trying to roughen the tails as soon as I built
a jig for shaping tails in an arc, according to Bill
Spurlock's plans. Checking has been excellent every time I've
used this jig, even when the tails felt extremely smooth.

I feel now that if hammer tails need roughening it implies that
the geometry of the tails and backchecks is wrong, and/or the
shape of the tails is poor. Tails can be reshaped with a sanding
disk and Bill's jig, even after they have been glued to the
shanks. Backchecks are generally mounted at a 72 degree angle,
which can be checked with a simple gauge made of cardboard or
thin wood.

Also, smooth tails save the backcheck leather.

Bill is selling a deluxe version of this jig, which can be used
either on new hammers, or on hammers already mounted, and which
I heartily recommend.

Susan Kline