K & C Problem

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:41:46 -0500

List,

    Went to look at a new Kohler & Campbell grand (5'1" size-can't remember
the model)
in a church. The pianist is complaining about heaviness. I agree.
    However in the process of looking it over, I discovered that there are
NO key leads
whatsoever, until B3. Coincidentally, the wippens up to B3 have helper
springs. Is this
a "correct" way to weight the keys, using the springs instead of the leads?
My guess
is no but I've never seen or heard of this before. What _is_ the correct
way to lead keys
when helper springs are used?
    Beginning at B3 there are 4 leads in the keys for an octave or so, then
3, etc.
tapering off, so I suspect the hammers might be a little heavy for this
piano and/or
there's a geometry problem but at this point, that's just a guess. Anyone
know what
hammers are used on K & C's?
    Any info about the "leading/spring" thing would be appreciated. Thanks.

Avery