Down-striking discovery and up-striking pianist

Elian Degen J. degen@telcel.net.ve
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 15:37:23 -0400

Jim,

Very interesting thought, but it would very much count what it was made
of... Just think about the wood with its humidity contents, lack of
atmospheric pressure would lower water boiling point so much that at normal
ambient temperature it would completely evaporate, wood would shrink and
crack, and you will end up with loose tuning pins, cracked soundboard loose
center pins, ...... and much more, but before that happens, if the
instrument is not in direct sunlight, it will freeze to  the point which
most conventional piano materials becomes brittle and break, if in the
vicinity of earth and sun strikes it,  will practically "cook" . Materials
do count. You would need space age technology materials, i.e.: probably
carbon fiber instead of wood, for pinblock and soundboard  other metal types
for strings and rim, and totally new types of glues. Now you do have a point
there without air, nobody would be able to hear anything. But let me know,
because I know several "pianists" which I would send to play over there...

Elian