Steinway B plate change

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 15:45:10 -0500

Sorry Newton, I have no technical proof (as most of us don't for most of
what we say here).   Larry Fine in his book, other techs from Steinway, and
_unbiased, independent_ techs (such as myself) that I respect have told me
that "_small_ deffects were corrected" with the new plate, such as slight
strikepoint changes.  I find no problem with the new plate and have recently
prepped and serviced several and I think they're great after dealer prep. I
should not have typed in the word "much" in my previous post. If my post
sounded like the new B is much improved over the old...no.  The new plate
corrects minor inconsistancies or deffects. Period. If I personally bought a
new Steinway, I'd prefer the B3 if given the choice.  I guess it depends on
how synical we are and if we have an ax to grind.

I believe that any company that constantly strives to improve, is bound to
waver at times, i.e. teflon.  I wonder what the % of patents in the last 50
years turned out to actually improve their piano vs hurt. With technology,
etc, changing, I'd prefer that they continued to try to improve rather than
sit on what was proven decades ago just because that's how it "was" done.

I welcome other tech's experiences with these B's and whether there is any
significant difference.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter