Piano micing reference

Ra Byn James Taylor btnaudio@flash.net
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 13:31:12 -0600

Let your ears decide!

Have someone play it while you move around listening to the sound. When you
find the place where the balance sound the most pleasant to you, put your
mic/mics there.

If the room sounds good you can afford to have the mics a bit further away
from the strings/sound board. If the room sounds like a box, get in close &
you'll get more direct sound.

If you have 2 mics, preferrably with an omni directional pickup pattern,
cross the tips like an X an record a little. Listen back & see if your
stereo image sounds realistic.

If you only have one mic.....look for a balance of bass & treble......blah
blah blah.....

I hope that helps.

ra byn james - sound engineer for Bass Hall - FTW

P.S. Any one with sound questions can email directly anytime.

rabyn@flash.net