Pure Tone Strings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 01 Apr 2000 13:35:10 -0600

>Too long treble strings, especially the top two octaves produces
>too high a breaking percent and there is nothing that can be done
>about it except relocate the bridge.  I have seen #88 at 2 5/8".
>Believe it or not and there is NO solution except shorten the
>speaking length.

Correct,  but that's %break, not tone. That's a different matter. I've seen
47 or 48mm too. Too short, and you won't get much power and sustain
whatever kind of soundboard you have because the tension is too low. That
brings up another question I've wondered about, but don't have any
definitive experience with. For power, ring time, clarity, etc; given a
50mm speaking length, what's the trade-off between tension and string
stiffness with different wire sizes? What's the net *audible* difference
between say, #12 and #13,5 wire for that unison?

> My point is that those that have the abilities are not interested,
unfortunately.

Sadly truer.

>I know, and most of them drive on the freeways and parkways.
>Weren't we talking about ham and sausages the other day?

Uh oh, forget I mentioned it.

Ron N