More advice needed

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Sat, 01 Apr 2000 23:06:59 PST

Clyde,

LOL !  LOL  !  LOL  !  ROFLOL !

Diane

----Original Message Follows----
From: Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: More advice needed
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 19:34:02 -0500

Friends:

I have gained so much from this list that I put a lot of weight on
advice I receive here, but recently it got me in a peck of trouble.
Some time ago someone wrote saying that they needed a particular tool to
repair a piano.  This person was advised to just add the cost of the
tool to the final bill.

A client of mine has a "Grand" spinet (no way to tell the age, but
probably made in the 70's) that groaned every time you used the sustain
pedal, and upon investigation I realized that the bottom board screws
were loose.  I didn't have a piano tilter, so I tuned the piano, then
made an appointment  to come back in about four weeks to fix the groan
after I had time to buy a tilter.

I ordered a tilter from Schaff, but when it came I couldn't get it in my
car!  After fuming a while I finally decided to buy an SUV to haul it
in, then went to fix the piano.  After tilting the piano, my screwdriver
(which had considerable wear on it) just stripped out the rusty
Phillips-head screws, so I had to go to the hardware store for a new
one.  I got the piano fixed and had the client check it out.  She was
pleased, so I went home and sent her the bill.

That's when my trouble started.  The next day I got this awful phone
call from her about the charges.  But I only did as I read on this list,
adding to the charge the things I needed to fix the piano.  The repair
was $40.00,  plus $9.95 for the screwdriver, $243.29 for the tilter
(with shipping), and the SUV (which cost considerably less than normal
because I traded in my car).  So why is this lady upset with my bill of
$18,585.01?  And what do I do now?  If she doesn't pay, I'll have to
sell the SUV and go through this whole headache again the next time I
need to use the tilter.  Help!!

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger