piano purchase

Sun, 2 Apr 2000 19:33:33 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <MsPiano4@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: April 02, 2000 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: piano purchase

> James
>
> If you could fit a 6' 4" piano in your space I would strongly suggest
seeking
> out the Charles Walters grand.  I was recently exposed to this wonderful
> instrument and believe it to be one of the finest pianos in its size that
> have worked on in my 23 years of piano work.  This is a hand made piano
> reminiscent of the finest pianos built in the USA during the early 1900's.
> Musically it is heads and shoulders above the best massed produced grands
> from Japan. Price is a little higher than asian pianos yet lower than
> Steinway.  I would recommend this piano as my #1 choice in the 6'
category.

> Greg Murdaugh

An added thought...Length isn't everything.  The Walter (actually a 190 cm,
or 6' 3", piano) is rather slender for its length, hence less bulky than
some shorter pianos.

Also, it is the only other piano besides the Steinway having a hard maple
rim and belly bracing system.  Along with, unless they have changed things
since I laid out the design, a hard maple belly rail.  It has a massively
built structure which contributes to its tone performance.

Del