Not another one on buying pianos....

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:30:56 EDT

zenyu@singnet.com.sg (Low Sye Yuan) writes:

<< In particular, I love the Bluthner a lot. It really has a honey-sweet tone
and is fantastic for the romantic pieces. However, when I played baroque or
classical pieces on it, it sounded weird. >>

Generally, this List is for piano technicians to discuss the tuning,
maintenance and repair of pianos.  However, opinions about different makes
and models are often discussed.  I would be willing to bet the reason for
your displeasure with the Bluthner when playing early music is the way the
piano was tuned.  It is the most common error made in piano tuning today and
is usually not recognizedfor what it is.  It is called Reverse Well and it
will most definitely make Baroque and Classical music sound weird.

I suggest that once you have narrowed down your choices, find a technician in
whom you have the greatest confidence and have him or her tune the piano
(with the dealer's permission).  While tuning a piano, the technician can get
the best impression of the quality of the piano.  Afterwards, a very
objective opinion can be given.  You can also play the music you will be
playing and see for yourself if this discrepancy between the early and late
music is resolved.

Good Luck,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin