Interesting article

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 07 Apr 2000 23:17:15 +0200

Hi Larry...

This buisness of single strings "sounding" flatter then coupled strings is a
different subject matter. Actually, you see, they not only sound flatter, they
are measurably flatter (with perhaps some circumstances of exception) There has
been done some experimentation on this line, but a complete explanation of this
phenomenon is as yet lacking. Some evidence points in the direction of the nature
of the bridge, other points towards the strings themselves.

What this article is about is something somewhat different and the disscussion
surrounding Virgil Smiths "natural beats" comes more to my mind then anything
else. In the last Journal there was a bit that seemed to follow quite similiar
lines really. Both (after my readings) postulate that the sum of all the partials
in a given vibrating string effect in some way how we percieve the fundemental.
At least the two are not entirely dissimiliar. Its interesting enough and worth
further ponderance for sure...grin. Anything to keep the old mind pondering..

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.