Quality in Pianos -- again

MsPiano4@AOL.COM MsPiano4@AOL.COM
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 20:38:33 EDT

Ron you made the point that I couldn't find the words for.  Requirements of
production have taken precedence over performance.  V-pro plates are a
perfect example and so are mahogany rims.  Easier to work with and less
costly.  But did you notice when Yamaha or Kawai wants to build a piano that
will compete in the concert arena such as the Kawai EX Concert grand,  then
they use cast iron plates and maple rims.  So if their flag ship piano
requires these features then why not the ones for every one else. Because
their main line, their "massed produced " line is a compromise in material
cost and labor cost so the instruments are affordable for majority.  That's
not to say that they aren't nicely crafted,  reliable pianos.  I'm simply
saying that they are not built with the goal of being the best "musically."

"Hand made" are built with that goal in mind.  That doesn't mean the goal is
always achieved. But I have yet to play a well regulated and voiced Steinway,
Baldwin, Charles Walters, Mason , etc., that won't outperform a similar sized
V pro mahogany rimed piano.

I need another glass of wine,

Greg M.