disclavier recordings

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:41:11 -0700

Charly Tuner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there any way for a "digital" recording (on dat or cd) to be tranferred
> to a disclavier floppy for playback? Just wondering.

It depends on what you mean by "digital".  Disklavier, PianoDisc. Pianomation,
and Concertmaster all work via a mutated version of MIDI.  That is, they use
MIDI which has been converted so that it will read but can not be copied in
order to protect copyrights.  It is the manufacturer's own special
formatting.  In the later models, however, these systems have become more
flexible.  Most will read each others disks, (or at least the bulk of them).
They will also read any generic MIDI file so long as it is in the MIDI "0"
format.  There are two types of MIDI, "0" and "1".  MIDI "1" is the most
common.  When you download MIDI files off the internet, they are typically in
this format.  Both are basically the same thing except "1" has the data laid
out in separate tracks, while "0" has all the data compressed into one single
track.  MIDI "1" can easily be converted into MIDI "0" with most types of
sequencing software by simply going into the "save as..." menu.

There are thousands of public domain MIDI files out there free for the taking
which can be converted and played on these systems.  I have done a
considerable amount of MIDI editing and converting for playback on PianoDisk
systems.  There are a few basic problems in most cases that have to be dealt
with...

1. Most public domain "off the internet" MIDI files are recorded by amateurs.
They are typically chock full of mistakes and require extensive editing before
they will sound good.  Expect to spend some time in this area.  You will need
a MIDI keyboard of some type connected to your computer.

2. Not all public domain MIDI includes the sustain pedal.  Often this needs to
be manually added.

3. In all cases the piano part must be on the first channel, (acoustic
piano).  The second channel, (bright piano) will not work.

4.  Whether the file initially includes sustain or not the sustain data needs
to be put on it's own merged track.  Be certain it is selected on channel 1
along as with the piano part.  The reason for this is because you will need to
advanced the sustain data slightly ahead of where it would normally be if it
were playing on a typical sound module.  Remember, on an acoustic piano the
sustain needs some extra time for the solenoid to turn on and actually move
the dampers off the strings because it is a mechanical device.  It is not
spontaneous.

5.  If the file includes accompaniment then it needs to be slightly retarded
to the piano part.  Not quite as far as the sustain but it needs to be done or
it will be noticeable.  Again, the solenoids take some extra time to react.

6.  Velocity/volume levels need to be adjusted.  Often on a digital player the
accompaniment or the piano parts will end up playing much louder or softer
than would a prerecorded disk.  It will not only need balancing but the
overall production may need to go up or down.

7.  Ideally it is extremely helpful to have a player system on hand and
directly connected to your computer during the final stages of editing.  In
this way you can play the piano directly from your computer and make the
needed adjustments instantly.  When all seems correct copy the file onto a
disk as MIDI "0" and play it back directly on the piano to make certain that
it plays in the same way that it worked from the computer.  Compare the
playback to a prerecorded disk to get an idea as to whether or not the volume
levels are correct.

8.  Repeat the above process with similar style music until you have enough to
make a complete disk.  Then curse at yourself for trying to save twenty
dollars on a pre recorded disk by spending 60 hours making your own.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV