Another Recital in 1/7 Comma Meantone

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:38:10 -0500

> Many PTG members consider what I do every day to be unethical and  a
>
> violation of Common Law subject to civil, if not criminal penalties.
>  It's
> only a matter of time before lawsuits will put me out of business
> and the
> criminal convictions will put me in prison.

	From my experience, most piano technicians have neither the money for
lawyers' fees to sue you, nor the clout to see legislation passed, so,
for the forseeable future, you're safe.  I can't imaging HT's really
getting into the mainstream for a long time, unless a great new fad comes
along.  Even then, i doubt the normal person who can't even do chopsticks
justice, will be interested.  As Avery Todd indicated on the list, we
had, at the local chapter, a very well done lecture on an HT within
Chopin's music, and there was a significant, pleasant difference.
However, until I asked him to play the same passage on an ET piano, the
differences weren't really noticed, even by the more experienced
technicians. Owen Jorgensen it was, I believe, at the Waco convention
last year, "Pianists are deaf."  They will have to hear, over and over,
that significant differences do exist, have a legitimate place in musical
life, and then will insist on such tunings.  The move to HT of any type
is going to be slow, and who cares if 90% of tooners never tune an HT.
Probably 90% of car mechanics never work on a Rolls Royce, either.  But
they still are legitimate craftspersons, and they are needed. So with the
generalist tuners.

	Most of us never will live in the rare-air of concert tuners, and HT's
will be a point of interest, but we'll seldom, in the practical world of
the POS and PSO, (yes, I know you don't like those acronyms) be in a
position of dealing daily with HT's.  No disrespect to any who are so
involved in the renewed interest in them.  But there are simply a lot of
people who will not find themselves needing them for their "daily bread."

les bartlett
houston

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.